Come with me for an amazing afternoon discovering Rive Droite
First, we strolled down Avenue Montaigne, where we learned more about the rivalry between the 2 leading groups in the luxury goods market : the LVMH group headed by Bernard Arnault and the Kering group leaded by François Pinault.
There, passing by Chanel, Loro Piana and Dior, he explained to us that the placements of each store were in fact "strategic" for the brands and the different groups.
Indeed, YSL is placed in opposite of Dior for example, to push the competition between the two groups even more. I must admit that I was surprised because I had never really paid attention to this before.
Avenue Montaigne is truly one of the historic landmarks of Parisian luxury. It's the avenue of the greatest names in fashion, from Christian Dior to Yves Saint Laurent.
It's the avenue of the greatest names in fashion, from Christian Dior to Yves Saint Laurent.
For me, it embodies success and achievement, but also pride and dreams. It's an iconic place where every designer dreams of one day having a boutique. That’s why this place has always meant so much for me ever since I walked there for the very first time. I would never get tired of walk around this Avenue, so rich historically as well as emotionally for me.
Mr. Poultier du Mesnil also showed us Artcurial, a vintage car auction room from the Dassault group, which also hosts modern art auction.
I also discovered that the Chopard Hotel on Place Vendôme as well as the Dior boutique on Avenue Montaigne both hide a private suite, for which you need to have contacts or to be a privileged customer to stay, taking luxury exclusivity one step further.
Even if it seems impossible, I would love to have the chance to sleep there one day but you've got to dream !
La Samaritaine
We then went to the Samaritaine, such an iconic place in Paris that I was pleased to discover because I have never been there before (what a shame). There, Mr Poultier du Mesnil explained to us the strong differences between the two shores : Rive Droite is the touristic and fancier side of the Seine whereas Rive Gauche is seen more as an intellectual place with a lot of exhibitions and bookshops for cultured people.
Originally opened in 1869, La Samaritaine is a renowned Parisian department store, a true landmark for fashion and luxury lovers. Closed in 2005 and then reopened in 2021 after 16 years of closure and refurbishment, la Samaritaine got an updated look.
Amoung the new features : a palace, the Cheval Blanc hotel as all the hotels and palaces created by LVMH.
Mr. Poultier du Mesnil also explained us that to be a palace, a hotel should tell a story, have 2,6 employees per key and per room. I didn't know this before so I thought it was really interesting.
The furniture and the merchandising are avant-garde and instagrammable. Everything is thought through to the smallest detail to impress the customer.
This department store is also very attractive for the tourists because they canbe tax-free directly in the store.
We also found that the higher up we went, the more prestigious the products were. I was also pleased to discover a streetwear section in a dedicated area, restaurants and a bar upstairs. On the top floor, our guide told us a little fun fact : originally, the paving stones on the floor were transparent, but this wasn't very convenient for women wearing dresses or skirts. That's why they're now cloudy.
It was interesting for me to see that everything is thought through to the smallest detail for the customer experience, right down to the details of the materials chosen for the floor.
La Samaritaine also boasts the largest beauty, perfume and wellness dedicated area of Europe. I was also impressed to know that there was a spa in this place, a true all in one experience !


We saw the Louboutin lipsticks collection, and what better place to explain why the mythical soles of Louboutin pumps are red ?
It’s on this that our lovely afternoon ended, leaving our minds filled with knowledge and of dream to maybe one day, be tomorrow's players in such prestigious locations.
At the end of the journey, I would say that this afternoon confirmed my perception and idea of luxury and luxury spaces : A sumptuous place where tourists fell welcome and pampered, and where every detail has been thought through through the smallest details to satisfy customers and give them a real experience, the height of luxury as we imagine it.
Luxury doesn't just mean a luxurious product as you might think. In my opinion, it's a complete buying experience, from the welcome you receive in the boutique, to the care given to the decoration, right through to the purchase and packaging of the products.
I would really like to thank Mr. Poultier du Mesnil for his kindness and for the knowledge he shared with us all afternoon. We had such a great time.
I'm still looking forward to discovering more about this field that inspires me so much.
Thanks also to the ISG Luxury Management for allowing us to take advantage of this afternoon in Rive droite.
Maëlys Pfund







Your blog is really nicely written and organised, i love it !
RépondreSupprimer